Show All Answers
203-622-6461 (Phone)203-622-3795 (Fax)
Patricia Sesto, Director of Environmental Affairs
Aleksandra Moch, Environmental Analyst
Sarah Coccaro, Conservation Resource Manager
Return to the Conservation page
Under the direction of the First Selectman, the Town has a water supply work group that includes the Conservation Director, the Director of Health and the Fire Chief which looks at both public and private supplies. Approximately 60% of Greenwich residents are served by the Aquarion Water Company of Connecticut. The other 40% rely on private wells. The Conservation Director serves as the liaison between the Town and the water company and monitors the water supply on a daily basis throughout the year.
In addition, all three of the land use agencies (Planning and Zoning, Inland Wetlands, and Conservation) consider public drinking water supply issues during the land use regulatory process. For more information on water supply and drought management issues in Greenwich visit our Water Supply and Conservation page.
The Conservation Commission is responsible for keeping an inventory of open space in Town most recently completed for the 2002 Open Space Plan. The Conservation Director works closely with other Town departments and non-profit agencies on open space protection and management strategies; and serves as staff to the First Selectman's Land Acquisition Committee. Open Space protection strategies include acquisition and conservation easements. For more information on open space protection in Greenwich contact the Director of Environmental Affairs.
The over-population of white-tailed deer has been well documented in Greenwich. The Conservation Commission is currently working with the University of Connecticut's Wildlife Conservation and Research Center to develop a deer management program for the Town. View Deer Fact Sheets (PDF).
Maybe. In general, trees that are on private lots are not subject to permitting at this time. The following exceptions to this are:
Landowners should check for restrictions in the Planning and Zoning office. In addition, clearcutting of trees on subdivided lots will most likely required that an erosion and sediment control plan be implemented especially if the area is being stumped and graded. For more information contact the Conservation Commission staff.