Can I make up my contribution deficiency?

At retirement (only), employees may repay their deficiency by transferring funds from the Savings Plan of the Town Greenwich 401(k), 457(b) or 403(b) plans into the Retirement System. At retirement employees may also elect to transfer or withdraw funds from the Retirement System in return for a reduced monthly retirement allowance. Funds withdrawn may be taxed as ordinary income and early withdrawal penalties may apply. Funds transferred to another qualified plan are not subject to current taxation. You should consult your financial or tax professional for advice, as the Retirement Department does not provide these services.

Show All Answers

1. What is a “retirement allowance” and how is it calculated?
2. What is “includable” or “pensionable” compensation”?
3. When can I retire?
4. What is the maximum amount I can receive as a retirement allowance?
5. What is vesting and how long does it take to vest my pension benefit?
6. Do I receive service credit for active military service?
7. Does military service credit count toward my vesting?
8. Once I am vested, if I leave Town employment before I retire, am I still eligible to receive my retirement allowance when I reach retirement age or the Rule of 80?
9. Are contributions to the Plan mandatory?
10. Can I make up my contribution deficiency?
11. Are my contributions made on a before-tax or after-tax basis?
12. What rate of interest do my contributions earn?
13. What options are available to me at the time of retirement?
14. What happens to my contributions if I die or leave Town employment before I am vested?
15. What happens to my contributions if I die after I’m vested, but before I retire?
16. What happens to my contributions at the time of my death, after I retire?
17. Who can I name as my beneficiary?
18. Does my choice of beneficiary impact my retirement allowance?
19. Can I change my beneficiary at a later date?
20. Can I borrow against my pension contributions?
21. Can I roll over contributions that I made to another plan into the Defined Benefit Plan?
22. If I work as a full-time employee for the Town, leave, and return to full-time employment with the Town at a later date, do I receive credit for my first period of service?
23. How do I obtain an estimate of my retirement allowance?
24. I have a date set for when I want to retire. How do I initiate the retirement process?