Why are there three levels of applications and how do I know which one to use?

The agency provides three levels of applications in recognition of the variety of complexity in submitted projects and the variety of supporting documentation that is needed. Minor projects may be approvable by the agency staff. These projects are generally further from the wetland and/or watercourse and tend to be small-scale activities such as small additions, decks, generators, etc., which do not involve a lot of grading or clearing. The application requirements are relatively simple.

The vast majority of applications submitted are subject to review by the agency and entail more substantial additions or landscaping, new homes, expansion of lawns, pond dredging, etc. Many of these projects will require one or more professionals to help compile application documents. Of these, the environmental analyst and engineer will contribute the most, once the wetland boundary and survey are obtained. The highest category is reserved for projects which may cause significant impact to wetlands or watercourses, thus the supporting documentation reflects this potential. Usually, a variety of professionals are needed to represent these more complex applications and a public hearing will be held.

Show All Answers

1. I know I need a permit, so what next?
2. Why are there three levels of applications and how do I know which one to use?
3. How do I submit my application?
4. Are my neighbors going to be informed of my application?
5. Who are the members of the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Agency?