I know I need a permit, so what next?


  • Once you know your project falls within a regulated area you will need to assess what professional assistance will be helpful. If your wetlands and/or watercourses have not been identified (flagged) in the field by soil scientist and surveyed, this is a good first step. Always check with the IWWA office first to see what records are available. This could save time and money.
  • Next, an environmental analyst can provide guidance regarding the values of your wetland and early advice regarding how your desired plans do or do not support wetland protection. She can provide solutions to help balance your project before too much time and money has been spent on design work.
  • Many construction projects will require a civil engineer, who will be largely responsible for creating a site plan. The engineer will assess the project’s needs for, among other things, stormwater management, as accommodating stormwater will eventually become part of the scope of your project. An engineer will also be useful if a septic system is involved.
  • A landscape architect is a helpful professional to enlist for projects that include a landscaping component. A landscape architect will draft the site plan showing vegetation to be altered, any regrading, and what plants are going to be installed - including plants for mitigating the impacts the project may pose to wetlands and watercourses. It is important to work with a professional who has experience with wetlands and watercourses and shares your aesthetic.
  • Any of these professionals can represent you to the agency. Whether or not you retain an attorney is a personal choice. Generally, the more complex a project is, the more likely an applicant is to have an attorney as part of their team.

For simple projects, it is best to speak with a technical staff member to discuss what is the minimum information you need to support your project. A cadre of professionals may well be more than is necessary. Application forms are available on the agency’s website.

Show All Answers

1. I know I need a permit, so what next?
2. Why are there three levels of applications and how do I know which one to use?
3. How do I submit my application?
4. Are my neighbors going to be informed of my application?
5. Who are the members of the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Agency?