I want to “clean up” an area of scrubby vegetation on my property. Do I need a permit?

If the scrubby area is in a wetland and/or within 100 feet (150 feet in public drinking water supply watersheds) to a wetland and/or watercourse, then the cleanup work will likely be regulated. “Cleaning up” is the most common source of violations largely due to the somewhat vague language in the state statutes, which state “landscape maintenance” is allowed without a permit provided the work does not change the character of the area.

Acknowledging the lack of clarity in regulations, it is best to speak with a member of the agency’s staff, who will gladly meet you and/or your landscaper in the office or on-site to discuss your plans, regulations, and if applicable, the permitting process. There is no charge for this consultation.

Show All Answers

1. I am interested in creating a pond on my property. What should I take into consideration prior to submitting an application?
2. Can I put yard debris in or next to wetlands?
3. I want to “clean up” an area of scrubby vegetation on my property. Do I need a permit?
4. I want to install a deer fence. Do fences require an IWWA permit if it’s in a regulated area?
5. Is a permit required to remove trees?
6. My septic system is failing. Do I need a permit if the repair is located within IWWA regulated areas?
7. What if I am in violation of the regulations?
8. When do I need a permit from the IWWA for my residential property?
9. Within the 100/150-foot regulated buffer, how close to the wetland or watercourse can I build and/or landscape?