How do I know if I have wetlands on my property?

Wetland boundaries are determined by a soil scientist on your property. The soil scientist hangs surveying tape or “flags” along the boundary of the wetland or watercourse. A surveyor then documents the location of the flags on a property survey. The agency maintains a list of soil scientists (PDF) for convenience. This list is not a recommendation and is not all-inclusive. 

The Inland Wetlands and Watercourses (IWWA) has issued thousands of permits and if your property ever received a permit, a copy of the surveyed wetland boundary and watercourse is likely on file. Applications made prior to 2011 are available on a public portal found on the IWWA page, or, come to the office from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on weekdays and a staff member will help you look up your property records. Files for applications made since 2011 are available in the office of the agency, too. It is also prudent to research the properties next to yours as regulated areas (“buffers”) of a wetland or watercourse on an adjacent property may extend onto your land.

Show All Answers

1. Contact Us
2. What is a wetland?
3. What constitutes a watercourse? If a stream dries up periodically, is it still a regulated watercourse?
4. How do I know if I have wetlands on my property?
5. Why does Connecticut protect wetlands and watercourses?
6. What role does the Greenwich IWWA play in implementing the statute?
7. I want to tend my wetlands and watercourse responsibly. What should I be doing?
8. I’m in the early planning phase of a project. Can someone at the IWWA give me guidance?
9. Is someone from the town able to come to my property to talk about my wetlands?
10. I want to buy a home which has a “Declaration of Wetlands and Watercourses” filed on the land records. What does that mean?
11. What is a “Regulated Activity”?
12. Why is a there a regulated area “buffer” next to wetlands and watercourses?
13. What can be done with seasonally wet areas on my property?