News Flash

Land Use - News

Posted on: May 18, 2020

Temporary Outdoor Dining Certificate

The state has issued two documents governing the Reopen CT process, which began on May 20. The first is a set of rules to be followed by each of the business sectors opening this week (restaurants, retail, and museums/zoos). The second document is an Executive Order from the Governor which addresses zoning and outdoor commerce.

Fundamentally, the executive order expands opportunities for outdoor commerce while streamlining the approval process. Planning and Zoning finds this approach essential to our economic recovery and supports it wholeheartedly. You are permitted 50% of your indoor seating capacity outside on your property wherever you can fit them and still comply with the attached DECD guidelines. This will need to be spelled out in your application to me as described in the attached application. If you can’t do it on private property there is also an option to use town property. In this instance you have to go through other departments before you submit the application to me. The required insurance for that option is here.

If you have a permit from the State of CT to serve alcohol within your existing outdoor dining area with no modifications proposed, you may serve liquor. If you are asking for an extended, or a new outdoor dining facility, your existing liquor permit will extend to any additional outdoor dining facilities the Town approves. If you do not have a current liquor license, please check with the Liquor Control Commission to see if a temporary permit may be obtained. You may also allow BYOB in this case. Outdoor bars are not permitted, and alcohol may only be served ancillary to a primary food service. Pursuant to Executive Order 7MM, Hours of Operation are limited to 9:00 PM from Sunday through Thursday and 11:00 PM on Fridays and Saturdays. This requirement supersedes any later hours that might otherwise be permitted.


Attached you will find the application form for Temporary Outdoor Dining. If you choose to follow your zoning approval for outdoor dining with the necessary reductions in seats in order to meet the DECD guidelines, as opposed to deciding to amend it or create new outdoor dining under the Executive Order, you do not have to submit the attached application but rather go through Shanice Becker, Planner I to obtain your annual renewal ( Please do not hesitate to e-mail me with any questions.

Thank you,

Katie DeLuca, AICP

Director of Planning and Zoning

Facebook Twitter Email