This program runs through May 31, 2019 or when funding runs out. Operation Fuel (www.operationfuel.org/) provides cash assistance for utility expenses for households with incomes at or below 75% of the State Median Income . (This equal to $43,894. for a single person and $84,412.50 for a family of 4) Local fuel banks assess client eligibility and payments are made directly to vendors. Operation Fuel is a private charitable program.
BENEFIT AMOUNT: Operation Fuel awards grants for the Winter, Spring and Summer seasons. The grants are used for heat and non-heat source expenses. Amount of assistance is up to the discretion of the local fuel bank. Payments are made directly to fuel or utility vendors. Note: Spring and Summer programs provide assistance for gas and electric utilities only.
• Household income at or below 75% of the State Median Income
• Must have exhausted, or been denied or are ineligible, for state heating assistance benefits
• Applicants may apply if they have experienced a job loss, and are collecting, or have exhausted, unemployment benefits, or have very limited income (such as disability, Social Security, etc.)
• A household must be in an emergency or financial crisis situation. A "financial crisis" is considered to be a situation in which a family must choose between paying for their energy needs, buying food, paying the rent or mortgage, or paying medical bills as a result of unemployment, illness, death, or other emergencies.
• Applicants must have made 4 payments within previous 365-day period including one payment during the winter moratorium and have not received a grant within the past 365-day period.
For questions or to submit an application, please call Greenwich Department of Human Services at (203) 622-3800.