The Greenwich Department of Human Services will begin taking applications for Operation Fuel beginning on Monday December 3, 2018.
This program runs through May 31, 2019 or when funding runs out. Operation Fuel (www.operationfuel.org/) provides cash assistance for utility expenses for households with incomes at or below 75% of the State Median Income . (This equal to $43,894. for a single person and $84,412.50 for a family of 4) Local fuel banks assess client eligibility and payments are made directly to vendors. Operation Fuel is a private charitable program.
BENEFIT AMOUNT: Operation Fuel awards grants for the Winter, Spring and Summer seasons. The grants are used for heat and non-heat source expenses. Amount of assistance is up to the discretion of the local fuel bank. Payments are made directly to fuel or utility vendors. Note: Spring and Summer programs provide assistance for gas and electric utilities only.
• Household income at or below 75% of the State Median Income
• Must have exhausted, or been denied or are ineligible, for state heating assistance benefits
• Applicants may apply if they have experienced a job loss, and are collecting, or have exhausted, unemployment benefits, or have very limited income (such as disability, Social Security, etc.)
• A household must be in an emergency or financial crisis situation. A "financial crisis" is considered to be a situation in which a family must choose between paying for their energy needs, buying food, paying the rent or mortgage, or paying medical bills as a result of unemployment, illness, death, or other emergencies.
• Applicants must have made 4 payments within previous 365-day period including one payment during the winter moratorium and have not received a grant within the past 365-day period.
For questions or to submit an application, please call Greenwich Department of Human Services at (203) 622-3800.