PROCLAMATION from Fred Camillo, First Selectman
WHEREAS, The Town of Greenwich proudly supports the Greenwich Historical Society and its partners - the Witness Stones Project, Sacred Heart Greenwich and Greenwich Academy — for their diligence and hard work in memory of the enslaved people of Greenwich; and
WHEREAS, This initiative, which celebrates their humanity, is designed to teach students about the lives of enslaved persons and their undeniable contributions to this community that still benefits from their labor centuries later. Today’s ceremony is the culmination of the work of teachers and students from Sacred Heart Greenwich and Greenwich Academy who conducted the research on the lives of the enslaved; and
WHEREAS, It aligns with the Historical Society’s mission to interpret Greenwich’s history and strengthen the community’s connection to our past, to each other and to our future; and
WHEREAS, Research suggests there were approximately 5,100 enslaved persons in 1774. Historical Society research estimates approximately 300 enslaved people in Greenwich during the 18th and 19th centuries. Understanding their lives and contributions is essential in knowing the history of Greenwich and in enhancing relations between residents, regardless of their color and ethnicity; and
WHEREAS, Today’s ceremony honors four of the 15 enslaved individuals who resided at Bush-Holley House from 1790 – 1830. They include: Cull Bush and his partner Patience, and Candice Bush and her daughter Hester Mead. Additional family members and other enslaved persons who lived throughout Greenwich will be honored in subsequent years as the partnership expands with other Greenwich schools; and
WHEREAS, Those honored today will be remembered with “Witness Stones” engraved with their names, known birth and death dates, and primary occupations, and placed on the Bush-Holley House grounds where they resided to ensure their legacy will be remembered.
and encourage all residents to support this worthy initiative to recognize their humanity and the contributions they made to our town over the centuries.