The Flood and Erosion Control Board was organized as a result of the adoption by the Representative Town Meeting on November 12, 1957 "An Act Establishing a Flood and Erosion Control Board in the Town of Greenwich" pursuant to the provisions of Number 377 of the Special Act of 1955. The Board is authorized to plan, lay out, acquire, construct, maintain, supervise and manage flood and erosion control systems and may enter into agreements with State and Federal governments to accomplish its purposes. It has five members, four of whom are appointed by the Representative Town Meeting for terms of four years. The fifth member is the First Selectman.
The Department of Public Works provides administrative and technical support to the Flood and Erosion Control Board through the Engineering Division.