Planning & Zoning Commission
View the 2020 Meeting Schedule (PDF).
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- Margarita T. Alban, Chairperson
- Commission Membership (PDF)
The powers and duties of the Commission are defined in Special Act Number 469 of 1951, which defines the planning responsibilities, including the task of preparing a long-range plan for future development and recommendations for the most desirable use of the land within the Town. Chapter 124 of the Connecticut General Statutes establishes the zoning standards throughout the Town and requires preparation of a zoning map and regulations reflecting these standards.
The Town Charter authorizes the Commission to regulate and review municipal improvement projects and subdivisions of land.
Responsibilities of the Planning and Zoning Commission include the review of:
- Accessory apartment applications
- Coastal site plan applications
- Municipal improvement requests
- Rezoning applications
- Sedimentation and erosion control plans
- Sign applications
- Site plans
- Subdivisions (2 or more lots)
- Zoning regulation amendments
The Planning and Zoning Commission also coordinates with:
- The Architectural Review Committee for all exterior alterations to commercial and multi-family projects and applications.
- The Historic District Commission for all Historic Overlay Zone applications and redesign of and alteration to historic structures, scenic road ordinances, subdivisions/site plans in local historic districts.
- The Conservation Director on the review of Sediment and Erosion Control and Tree Protection plans.
- Assigns all street numbers in town and coordinates with the Post Office and emergency services.
- Updates street maps, property maps, zoning plats, rezoning approvals and subdivision layouts; prepares background reports and studies, and maintains the official zoning map.
- Provides demographic, land use, and census information and computer-based map information to the public and other government agencies.