Board of Assessment Appeals
Property Assessment Appeals
Applications and Hearings
- Applications for appeals of Real Estate and Personal Property assessment shall be made each year to the Board of Assessment Appeals by February 20th, at 5PM unless an extension is granted in a revaluation year.
- Applications can be found here or in the Assessor’s Office once they are published and until they expire.
- Field Cards are available online from the Assessor's Office Web Page.
- Applications must be filed with the BAA by the due date and time. No exceptions.
- Hearings for Real Estate and Personal Property will be held in person, by appointment, in the month of March (unless an extension is granted in a revaluation year) and continue until all appeals are heard.
- Hearings for Motor Vehicles are held in September on an evening scheduled each year by the Board. No appointment is needed.
- All appeals must be done in person. A representative may appear on an owners behalf with a signed letter of authorization from the property owner. All application forms must be filled out completely in order to receive an appointment.
Members of the Board of Assessment Appeals are elected by the citizens of the Town of Greenwich every two years during municipal elections. The purpose of the Board is to hear property appeals for taxpayers who feel that the Assessor erred in the valuation of their properties.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Jack M. Kriskey, Chairman
- Joseph Huley
- Mark Pruner
- Jeff Reardon
- Howard Richman
Contact the Board of Assessment Appeals
Email the Members of the BAA.
Phone: You may call the Board while it is in session at 203-618-7601. Note this phone is not monitored when the Board is not in session. Please use the email link at all other times.
Real Estate and Personal Property Appeals
For property owners wishing to file an appeal to the Board of Assessment Appeals, applications must be received by the Board on or before February 22, at 5PM. The appeal form must be completely filled out with all the information requested. If the property owner cannot appear on the date or time the appointment is made, someone else can appear on their behalf with a letter of authorization.
The Board will hold hearings during the month of March unless an extension is obtained in a revaluation year.. The Board has the authority to increase, decrease or make no changes to the assessment. Applicants will be notified of the Board’s decision by mail one week after the Board’s decision.
Applicants who feel aggrieved by the Board or are dissatisfied with their decision may appeal to the Superior Court in their jurisdiction within 60 days of the notice from the Board.
Motor Vehicle Assessment Appeals
Automobile owners, who wish to appeal the assessment on their vehicles, may appear at the September meeting of the Board of Assessment Appeals. The appeal form must be completely filled out with all the information requested.
The meeting will be held on Thursday, September 9th, 2021 from 5:00 to 7:00PM in the Gisborne Room, located on the first floor of Town Hall. No appointment is necessary.
Since motor vehicles are revalued annually, a subsequent application to the BAA must be made each year that the owner is not in agreement with the assessed value.
Please find current Board of Assessment Appeal Forms here. You may review them to acquaint yourself with the required information. You are encouraged to complete and submit the form online, but you may download the appropriate Board of Assessment Appeal form, print, sign and return it to:
Board of Assessment Appeals
Town of Greenwich
101 Field Point Road
Greenwich, CT 06830-2540