- Departments M - Z
- Voter Registration
- I want to become a voter
- I forgot to register. Can I still vote?
I forgot to register. Can I still vote?
Yes, this is known as Election Day Registration (EDR). If all voter registration deadlines have been missed, a bona fide resident of the town of Greenwich may register to vote and cast a ballot at a specific election day registration location in Town Hall only. This location is currently the Lounge in the Lower Level of Greenwich Town Hall. Election Day Registration is from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Election Day Registration (EDR) is for regular elections only. Special Elections and Primaries do not have EDR.
Proof of Identity / Residency
A voter must bring the appropriate proof of identity and residency. The election day registration process requires verification that the voter is not registered to vote in any other municipality in CT, or, if the voter is registered, election officials must determine that the individual has not voted in the other municipality by telephoning the corresponding Registrars of Voters.
The entire process is lengthy, as it includes voter registration, verification, and then finally the actual casting of a ballot. Depending on the popularity of this option and the individual voter’s circumstances, wait times can vary from a minimum of 20 minutes to an hour. This option is only available at the election day registration location in Town Hall. It is not available at neighborhood polling places.
Acceptable Identification for Election Day Registration
- Voter must appear in person
- Must provide proof of identity and residence
Note: Current Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Connecticut Drivers License/Non-Driver’s License/Learner’s Permit satisfy both proof of identity and residence. (Adhesive strip with change of address acceptable.)
Proof of Identity
- Birth certificate
- College photo identification (ID), in place of birth certificate, license, or Social Security card
- Drivers license (Reminder: out of state OK for identity only)
- Oath of another elector or proof satisfactory to registrars (Reminder: identity only)
- Social security card
Proof of Residence (Examples)
- Current college or university registration or fee statement
- Current CT Drivers License/Non-Driver License or Motor Vehicle Learners Permit
- Current Paycheck/Bank Statement
- Naturalization documents
- Passport (recent and includes residential address)
- Property tax bill
- Utility Bill-due no later than 30 days pre-election
- Electronic copies of recent utility bills which can be downloaded in front of poll worker are acceptable. Must be downloaded, not just a picture.
Click here for a downloadable PDF version of this information.