Fire Marshal's Office
The mission of the Fire Marshal's Office is the preservation of life and the protection of property from fire, explosion and other associated emergency conditions for the citizens of the Town of Greenwich. This is accomplished through enforcement of the Connecticut Fire Safety Code, inspections, public education and investigation of all fires occurring within the Town for the determination of origin and cause.
We also manage an aggressive back country dry hydrant / water supply program that provides increased fire protection to residents through strategic planning and utilization of static water supply sources in areas of Town lacking public water service.
Additional duties imposed by the Connecticut General Statutes include the following:
- Inspect all buildings and facilities of public service, business, assembly, education, health care, multi family housing and other occupancies regulated by the Connecticut State Fire Safety Code.
- Issue permits for the use, transportation and storage of explosives in compliance with State Explosives Regulations.
- Inspect and supervise all fireworks and special effects displays for compliance with applicable State legislation.
- Inspect all tents and portable structures for compliance with the Connecticut Fire Safety Regulations.
- Conduct review of plans and specifications for various occupancies and facilities being proposed within the town for compliance with the Connecticut Fire Safety Regulations.
- Attend schools and seminars to keep abreast of the codes, regulations and new technology.
- Inspect and enforce the Connecticut Regulations concerning storage, use and transportation of liquefied petroleum gas and liquefied natural gas.
- Maintain 90 hours of continuing education credit over 3 year periods.
- Commercial Building Inspection Checklist (PDF)
- Home Inspection Checklist (PDF)
- Knox Box information (PDF)
- Merchant Holiday Requirements (PDF)
- Plan Review Submission Form (PDF)
- Special Events Application Form (PDF)
- State Application for Fire Safety Modification (PDF)
- Town of Greenwich Blasting Policy (PDF)
- Underground Tank Removal Policy (PDF)
- Fire Marshal Fee Schedule
- Information Request Form (PDF)