Fire Marshal's Division
The mission of the Fire Marshal’s Office is the preservation of life and the protection of property from fire, explosion and other associated emergency conditions for the citizens of the Town of Greenwich.
The Fire Marshal performs responsible administrative and technical work involving directing assigned operations and functions of the Fire Prevention Division, including inspection of all buildings and other related facilities within the Town, investigation and reporting of fires and causes to the State Fire Marshal’s Office and ensuring compliance with all state and local ordinances and codes as they relate to fire inspections, fire prevention and fire investigations. Responds to fire alarms and other emergencies as required.
The Fire Marshal reports to and takes direction from the Fire Chief. The Fire Marshal shall have access to the First Selectman as required to fulfill statutory duties of the Fire Marshal.
We enforce the Connecticut Fire Safety Code by:
- Inspecting buildings as required by the code.
- Issuing permits for the use, transportation and storage of explosives.
- Inspecting all fireworks and special effects displays for compliance.
- Inspecting all tents and portable structures for compliance.
- Conducting plan reviews of proposed building construction and renovation.
- Inspecting the storage, use, and transportation of liquefied petroleum gas and liquefied natural gas.