SAVE YOURSELF MONEY AND TIME SUBMIT ONLINE!
Do you need Highway to sign off on your Building sheet? CLICK HERE to make sure you have everything you need.
NOVEMBER 22, 2021- JANUARY 3, 2022
The Highway Division of the Department of Public Works issues permits for any work that is performed in the Town right-of-way. Examples of such work may include:
- Excavating the road, sidewalk, or shoulder for installation of utilities
- Connecting to a town storm drain
- Installing or relocating a driveway
- Use of the Town’s right-of-way for other activities (dumpster, scaffolding, etc.)
If you are submitting a Highway Application for proposed SEWER work in the Town road or right-of-way, you will need to supply an appropriate valid Sewer Permit number.
Failure to do this could result in your Application being denied.
The Highway Permit application (PDF) can also be obtained at Town Hall, Department of Public Works Highway Division.
In addition to the permit application, the following is required:
- Five (5) Hard Copies of plans/details - if submitted in person OR One (1) PDF copy of plans/details- if submitted online
- One (1) Hard Copy of Drainage Summary Report (if required) OR One (1) PDF copy of Drainage Summary Report- if submitted online
- One (1) DVD containing plans/details, Drainage Summary Report
Requirements and Responsibilities of the Permittee
- Safety: Safe passage of vehicular and pedestrian traffic must be afforded at all times. The permittee shall comply with all regulations and standards as set forth in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Reimbursement: The permittee shall indemnify and reimburse the Town for all costs and expenses incurred in bringing the excavation site into compliance with the provisions of the permit, including but not limited to the costs of restoration of the site.
- Liability & Permission: The permittee agrees that he will hold harmless the Town of Greenwich, its officials, agents and employees from any and all claims, suits, liability and actions including any and all damage to person or property, in consequence or resulting from his acts, negligence, omissions or performance of work as set forth in the permit.
- Notification: Upon issuance of the permit, the permittee shall notify the Highway Inspector at (203)-622-7766 at least 48 hours before the commencement of work. Activities such as backfilling of trenches or concrete pouring shall also require additional inspections as set forth in the Highway Permit.
- Emergency Permits: A permit for emergency work may be issued without a review period at the discretion of the Highway Superintendent. The permittee will be held responsible for any requirements that may follow the immediate repair of such emergency work.
- Use of Right-of-Way: A permit must be obtained for the placement or staging of any equipment or work activities within the Town right-of-way including but not limited to:
- Dumpsters/storage containers
- Scaffolding (Building Division permits required)
- Crane/forklift use
- Renting of on-street parking stalls (Approval required from Parking Services)
- Civic Events
A Use of Right-of-Way permit is issued for a two-week period. For longer durations, or to inquire if a permit is necessary, please contact the Highway Division directly.
- Final Inspection: Upon completion of the work items as set forth in the permit, the permittee shall submit a Request for Final Inspection form. This form will be required to close out the Highway Permit, and may be required to obtain any Certificates of Occupancy (C.O.) from the Building Division.
Permit Application Instructions
Fill out the following application on screen by clicking and typing in each field. Print out and sign the application (PDF).
The application can either be brought to the Highway Division Office or mailed to the following address:
Department of Public Works - Highway Division
101 Field Point Road
Greenwich, CT 06836-2540
Applications are not accepted by fax.