Greenwich Avenue, Arch Street and Havemeyer Place Intersection Improvements
The Greenwich Avenue, Arch Street, and Havemeyer Place Intersection Improvement Project aims to improve safety and accessibility in an area heavily trafficked by both vehicles and pedestrians and revitalize an iconic shopping and dining destination in the heart of central Greenwich.
- Add 10 new parking spaces
- Reduce the distance pedestrians need to cross Greenwich Avenue, Arch Street, and Havemeyer Place by up to 76%
- Improve sightlines and visibility between drivers and pedestrians
- Add designated ADA compliant parking spaces with an unobstructed pathway to the sidewalk
- Slow speed of drivers entering the intersection at Greenwich Avenue, Arch Street, and Havemeyer Place
- Flatten steep grades to improve general accessibility
- Install new decorative crosswalks
- Add landscaping and greenspaces
- Repair drainage and sewer lines to further extend their lifespan
- Decrease impervious surfaces
- Install new bike racks and benches
- Relocate lighting to improve illumination
This project has received a Local Transportation Capital Improvement Program (LOTCIP) grant from the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT). The LOTCIP grant will fund 100% of all construction costs. View LOTCIP grant information and documents, HERE.
On January 20th, 2021, Town of Greenwich Department of Public Works (DPW) presented two potential intersection improvement projects on Greenwich Avenue at Planning and Zoning’s pre-application meeting. During this public open forum discussion, Department of Public Works shared the conceptual plans to improve safety, accessibility for those with disabilities, and aesthetically revitalize the intersection at Arch Street and Havemeyer Place and the Fawcett Place and Grigg Street intersection – two areas heavily trafficked by both vehicles and pedestrians. Currently, the proposed plan adds 10 new parking spaces to the Arch Street and Havemeyer Place intersection.
In this meeting parking along the entire Greenwich Avenue was discussed. There are various concepts under review for potential future projects on Greenwich Avenue which could result in an overall reduction in parking, but all of these projects are only in the conception stages and are subject to change as design concepts are reviewed and revised. The current focus is the Arch Street and Havemeyer Place intersection, which will increase parking.
The helpful feedback provided by the public during the pre-application meeting has given Department of Public Works the opportunity to continue to evaluate community needs and to further modify the project’s plans. At this time the primary focus is on the Arch Street and Havemeyer Place intersection and the Department will continue to look at improvements at the Grigg Street and Fawcett Place intersection. Since the pre-application meeting, the team is exploring opportunities to create more parking spaces and accommodate outdoor dining. There will be additional opportunities for the public to be involved in this process prior to the completion of construction.