Cut and Fill Permit for Filling, Removal and Excavation of Earth Material

Permit applications are being accepted via email . Save yourself some time and apply online! 

Questions? Call 203-618-3001

The Engineering Division of the Department of Public Works issues one permit for excavation, filling and removal and/or grading. The application can be obtained from the Engineering Division Office.

The application for this permit must be accompanied by the following:

  • 2 sets of maps, plans and specifications.
  • A letter signed by the owner or his authorized agent giving in detail an explanation of why excavation, fill, removal and/or grading is clearly incidental to the improvement of the property.
  • A cost estimate of the project.
  • Filling fee based on $5 per 1,000 cubic yards to be excavated, filled or graded with a minimum of $15 and a maximum of $250.

 application (PDF)