Wesskum Wood Road Bridge
This project will replace the Wesskum Wood Road Bridge, a deteriorating vehicular bridge adjacent to Binney Park that was originally built in 1950. Project construction will start on July 5, 2023, and is anticipated to take approximately one year. The work limits of this project are on Wesskum Wood Road, between Binney Park Drive and Sound Beach Avenue. Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) will be utilized to reduce road closure time. Access to Binney Park's tennis court, playground, and baseball fields will remain open to the public via Binney Park Drive.
Installation of the eastern side sheet pile wall and the 12 H-piles have been completed. In the next few weeks sheet pile walls and H-Piles installation work on the western side will be performed. H piles are an integral part of the future bridge foundation.
A vehicular detour will begin on July 5, 2023. Please observe posted signage and use an alternative route if possible.
Road Closure Location:
Wesskum Wood Road between Binney Park Drive and Sound Beach Avenue
Vehicular Detour Route:
Arch Street, Sound Beach Avenue, West End Avenue, Summit Road, Drinkwater Place, and Owenoke Way
To view the detour map, CLICK HERE.
Build a Brand New Bridge
Minimize Construction Impacts
Pedestrian Safety and Accessibility:
Anticipated Project Timeline
- Complete Construction -- Summer 2024
- Start Construction -- July 5, 2023
- Construction Bids Received -- March 8, 2023
- Advertise Construction to Bid -- Winter 2022/23
- CTDEEP Permit Approval -- November 2022
- Submit Permits -- July 2022
- Final Design -- April 2022
- Semi-Final Design -- November 2021
- Public Hearing -- January 7, 2021
- Virtual Public Information Meeting -- September 30, 2023