Oneida Drive Bridge
Replacement of the Oneida Drive Bridge over Smith Cove (Bridge No. 056-009)
In 2013, the Town’s consultant performed a routine inspection on the bridge and gave it a Poor rating based on deterioration, cracks and the warrant for installing guiderails. It was recommended that the Town repair the deck slab, monitor the cracks in the substructure and increase the inspection frequency to 1 year increments in comparison to the current 5 yr increments. The Town decided to replace the bridge structure. If the bridge were not replaced, the Town would need to limit weight loads and eventually close the road.
- The Oneida Drive Bridge was originally constructed in 1925. It has deteriorated over time and is in need of replacement.
- The project includes the replacement of the existing bridge structure with a precast concrete slab, cast in-place concrete abutments and new parapets with bridge rails.
- The construction will have minimal environmental impacts and the completed project will create new bio-retention areas.
- The posted detour will be in place throughout the duration of the project.
Anticipated Project Timeline:
- Summer 2019 – Construction Starts
- Fall 2019 – Utility Relocations
- Fall 2019 - Winter 2020 – Restart Construction
- Winter 2020 – Winter Shutdown
- Spring 2020 – Restart Construction
- Summer 2020 – Final Completion of Project
- Oneida Drive will be closed to thru-traffic for the duration of the project.
- All local driveway access will be maintained throughout construction.
- The Oneida Drive detour utilizes Steamboat Road, Museum Drive and Indian Harbor Drive. Please follow the detour signs in place.
Oneida Drive Bridge Project Brochure
Oneida Drive Bridge Detour
Contact: Sean T. Cardwell, Civil Engineer
DPW- Engineering Division
Detour Plan (PDF)