Davis Avenue Bridge
Davis Avenue Bridge
Replacement of Davis Avenue Bridge (Bridge No. 05012)
In 2015, the Davis Avenue Bridge was inspected by HAKS Engineers and found to be in Fair condition. In 2017, the bridge was inspected by VBTech and again found to be in Fair condition. In addition, the bridge geometry and striping layout is known to be Functionally Obsolete, which means it does not meet current roadway design standards. Given the age, signs of deterioration, critical nature of the bridge and roadway being built to earlier standards, the bridge is proposed for replacement.
In 2019, CTDOT provided additional analysis on the bridge structure and recommended reducing the posted load rating from 34 tons to 25 tons.
The bridge and associated causeway serve three purposes – supporting traffic traveling on Davis Avenue, retaining water in the Davis Mill Pond and allowing water to flow into Indian Harbor. The bridge replacement will ensure that these functions can continue for years to come.
The design is being completed by consultant engineers Alfred Benesch & Company.
- The Davis Avenue Bridge was originally constructed in 1934. It has deteriorated over time and is in need of replacement.
- The bridge carries between 4,000 and 6,000 vehicles per day and serves as part of the official CTDOT diversion route for I-95.
- A public information meeting was held June 6, 2019 to review the preliminary design plans and solicit feedback from the public as the project moves into the final design phase. Click here to download the public information meeting presentation.
- A 2nd public information meeting is planned for Fall 2019.
- The preliminary design proposes replacing the bridge with prestressed concrete deck units and will maintain the existing bridge/causeway footprint
- A temporary traffic detour will be necessary during construction. The detour will be posted with signage and local driveway access will be maintained throughout construction. The detour will utilize Arch Street, Museum Drive, Davis Avenue, Bruce Park Drive, Indian Field Road and Interstate 95. Additional details will be provided when available.
- The estimated project cost is $4.1 M and the anticipated construction funding Source is 100% Local Transportation Capital Improvement Program (LOTCIP) Construction Funding (Grant)
Anticipated Project Timeline
- 2nd Public Information Meeting – Fall 2019
- Design / Permit Completion – Winter 2019 / 2020
- Start of Construction – Spring 2020
- Road Closure / Detour – Summer 2020
- End of Construction – Fall / Winter 2020
*Eversource Utility / Pedestrian Bridge Construction: Fall / Winter 2019
Contact: Jason M Kaufman, PE., Senior Civil Engineer
DPW – Engineering Division
Email: [email protected]