Sunshine Avenue Bridge
Replacement of Sunshine Avenue Bridge (Bridge No. 056-016)
In 2012, the Town’s consultant performed a routine inspection on the Bridge and gave it a Satisfactory rating. The Town continued to monitor the condition. In 2015, the Town’s consultant performed a routine inspection on the Bridge and gave it a Poor rating based on deterioration, cracks and exposed reinforcement. They recommended that the Town replace the bridge structure. If the bridge were not replaced, the Town would need to limit weight loads and even eventually close the road.
The bridge serves two purposes – supporting traffic traveling on Sunshine Avenue and allowing water to flow in Cider Mill Brook. The bridge replacement will ensure that both of these functions can continue for years to come. Click here for project brochure.
- The Sunshine Avenue Bridge was originally constructed in 1956. It has deteriorated over time and is in need of replacement.
- The project design proposes replacing the bridge structure with a four-sided “box culvert” to match the abutting upstream structure. This choice of structure will also reduce construction duration and minimize maintenance needs in the future. Click here for project plans.
- Two public information meetings were held during the design phase of this project that led to some minor changes to the project design. Based on community feedback, the final plans include pedestrian railing that will be similar to the existing railing in front of 15 Sunshine Avenue.
- The construction will have minimal environmental impacts and once complete will provide a context sensitive structure. The new structure will have a 75-year service life.
- The temporary traffic detour will be the most noticeable impact of this project. The detour will be posted with signage. It will utilize Sound Beach Ave Ext, Sheep Hill Rd, Old Orchard Rd, Split Timber Pl and Bonwit Rd. Local driveway access will be maintained throughout construction. Click here for detour plan.
Anticipated Project Timeline
- December 2018 – Project out to Bid
- January 2019 – Contract Awarded
- Spring 2019 – Construction Starts (one-way alternating during work hours at bridge)
- End of June 2019 – Full Closure at Bridge Location (detour in place)
- End of August 2019 – Sunshine Ave Reopens to Through Traffic (one-way alternating during work hours at bridge)
- Fall 2019 – Final Restoration of Roadway
- Spring to End of June 2019 – Alternating one-way traffic during work hours and full two-way traffic outside of work hours.
- End of June 2019 to End of August 2019 – Road closure between driveways for 35 Sunshine Ave and 39 Sunshine Ave (approx. 50 linear feet). Detour is approximately 1 ½ miles and will utilize Bonwit Rd, Florence Rd, Split Timber Pl, Old Orchard Rd, Sheep Hill Rd and Sound Beach Ave. Ext. Click here for detour plan.
- End of August 2019 through Fall 2019 Project Completion – Alternating one-way traffic during work hours and full two-way traffic outside of work hours
Contact: Jason M Kaufman, P.E., Senior Civil Engineer
DPW – Engineering Division
E-Mail: [email protected]