What Activity On My Property Requires a Permit

Building Permits are required for all of the following:

  • Constructing any new building or structure. 
  • Additions or alterations to any existing building or structure.
  • Changing the use and occupancy type of any building or tenant space within an existing building.
  • Converting an unfinished space [attic/basement] into a habitable space.
  • Constructing a new swimming pool, spa, or hot tub or renovations to same.
  • Constructing a tennis or sports court.
  • Exterior decks.
  • Fireplaces or wood-burning stoves.
  • Erecting a detached sign or attaching an exterior sign to a building.
  • Adding solar panels to a building or erecting a freestanding array of solar panels.
  • Retaining walls over 3 feet in height.
  • Fences more than 7 feet in height.
  • Demolition of any existing building or structure.
  • Special events – Certain size tents, carnivals, fairs, etc.; Including using the interior of buildings for a use that it was not designed or intended for [i.e.; crafts shows, fairs, and any other similar use].

Trade Permits – A trade permit is required for all of the following:

  • Electrical work 
  • Plumbing work 
  • HVAC work [heating and cooling]
  • Installing a generator

Activity that does not require a Building or Trade Permit:  

To review activity, of a minor nature, that does not require a permit click here.